Friday, September 9, 2011

I am

I am Zohreh Shojaee. I was born in Iran.I have been here in US for 3 years. My most important goal is to know who i am,and why i am here (on Earth), and who I want to be. Until a few months ago I thought that i have to be someone that society wants me to be based on it's own values.The values that each society imposes us and says that you are a good person if you have this  kind of character, wear in a particular way, learn the only subjects that can brings money and so on. So in every society i have to change my character hobbies,life style,the way of wearing clothes and so on.I love to learn something while I have to learn something else (which I'm not interested in) but  I learn it just because I need to make money to live.Now I have found that  there are a lot of spiritual needs that we have never spent any time to think about it.

3 comments:

  1. So true Zohreh! Spirituality is something that, especially in our American culture, many of us tend to overlook because we have the day to day work of life to contend with, but spirituality is connected to how we deal with our own mortality and so it is an invisible idea that all of us struggle with at different times in our life (for some, not until the very end!).

    What an opportunity we have as your classmates to learn from you experience in Iran. I picked Persepolis, not because I am an expert, but because I want to learn more about Persian culture and the ongoing struggles in Iran. I hope we can discuss some of your experiences in class. This is a great start! I encourage you to keep writing (practice, practice, practice) and to incorporate as many "concrete" details as you can. For example, you write "So in every society I have to change my character, hobbies, life style, the way of wearing clothes"--I would suggest that you expand this and add in the details. What kind of hobbies? What specifically do you mean by life style? What clothes? Can you describe them, such as the color, material, design, etc? Happy reading and writing! It's great to have you in our writing community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to go to Iran. I feel that country has such rich and fascinating history! I agree with you with the fact that the society sets up many expectations and values that do not always corresponds with our personal ones. Unfortunately, if one does not follow what the society expects, he or she can get label with something. However, I feel that, at end of the day, we should balance out the society's value and our personal value. I am also working hard towards figuring out my role in this life and this world and hope that you can find yours too! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Zohreh. I have recently found that I have a spirtiual side, that I never knew I had. Thanks to my children, who have recently come to live with me, and to my girlfriend who have show me, that even a past agnostic, can find his faith, and beleive that love and hope can really enrich your life.

    ReplyDelete